Se Habla Espanol
Metal-Free Restorations – Arlington, TX
Seamless Smile Repair
For generations, dentists used metal-based materials to repair broken teeth. While metal crowns, bridges, and fillings are quite durable, they do have their drawbacks. One of those drawbacks is the way their color clashes with the natural beauty of a patient’s smile. Fortunately, more aesthetically pleasing materials are now available and are being used on a broad scale. Dr. Ravi Doctor is proud to offer beautiful, functional, and lifelike metal-free restorations.
What Are Metal-Free Restorations?
As their name implies, metal-free restorations are dental restorations that are completely free from metal. They include things like porcelain crowns, porcelain bridges, and tooth-colored fillings. They are constructed out of biocompatible materials, which means they work well with the human body.
How Do Metal-Free Restorations Work?
The process for designing and placing a metal-free restoration depends on the specific type of restoration. For example, with a tooth-colored filling, Dr. Doctor simply prepares the tooth, inserts a composite resin, and then adjusts the filling until its size and shape are exactly what they should be. For metal-free crowns and bridges, a dental laboratory must fabricate them after Dr. Doctor prepares the teeth and composes detailed design notes.
Why Should I Choose Metal-Free Restorations Over Traditional Restorations?
Metal-free restorations are superior to their traditional counterparts in numerous ways:
- Metal restorations are typically very dark and/or shiny. Even porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM) crowns may have a tiny bit of dark metal showing at their edge. Metal-free restorations are virtually indistinguishable from tooth enamel and complement a patient’s natural oral structures.
- No allergic reactions. Metal-free restorations do not contain any materials that commonly provoke an allergic reaction, such as nickel. Therefore, they work well for patients who are allergic to (or just sensitive to) certain metals.
- No mercury. Mercury is what gives metal fillings their flexibility. While the American Dental Association believes that metal fillings are safe, many patients are concerned about mercury’s inherent toxicity. Metal-free restorations are completely without mercury.
- No increased sensitivity. Metal restorations have a high thermal conductivity rate, which means they may increase dental sensitivity. Metal-free restorations do not have this problem.
- Sturdy protection. Metal-free restorations fit so well with the teeth that it is highly unlikely that bacteria will sneak beneath them and damage the underlying dental structure.
- Metal-free restorations are not quite as durable as their metal counterparts. However, they are strong and have the potential to last for many years.
Cost of Metal-Free Restorations
The cost of your metal-free restoration will depend on the type of restoration. In general, the cost of these restorations is in the same ballpark as that of their metal counterparts. Often, insurance is willing to cover a significant portion of the price of metal-free restorations, as long as the treatment is deemed necessary for your oral health. Our team will provide you with an estimate during your consultation, and we will be pleased to help you explore your payment options.
Would you like to learn more about metal-free restorations and how they may benefit your smile? Contact Dr. Doctor’s office today.