Se Habla Espanol
Dental Crowns – Arlington, TX
Custom-Made, Versatile Restorations
Even if you generally take excellent care of your smile, every once in a while your tooth may be damaged by severe trauma or decay. Leaving it along could make the problem worse over time, but with Dr. Ravi Doctor’s help, you can bring the tooth back to its full size and strength again so that it can continue to function safely and properly. Do you think you might need a dental crown? Give us a call today to schedule a consultation.
Why Choose Ravi Doctor, DDS for Dental Crowns?
- Variety of Materials Available
- Lifelike, Beautiful All-Ceramic Restorations
- Treatment from One of America’s “Super Dentists”
What is a Dental Crown, and When Will I Need One?
Also called dental caps, dental crowns are simply covers that are put over a tooth. They’re primarily used to fix broken or otherwise damaged teeth, but they can be applied cosmetically as well. Each crown is specially designed to fit perfectly in your mouth and – depending on the materials used – look completely natural next to the other teeth.
You may receive a dental crown if:
- You have a weak or cracked tooth that might break apart without a restoration.
- You have a significantly broken or severely worn-down tooth.
- You’re receiving a single dental implant and need the crown to act as a replacement tooth.
- Your tooth is misshapen, discolored, or otherwise affected by a severe cosmetic flaw.
The process of getting a dental crown can begin once Dr. Doctor has performed an examination and confirmed that your smile could benefit from a restoration.
What are the Different Types of Dental Crowns?
Not all dental crowns are alike; there are many different materials that can be used depending on the needs of the tooth as well as your own preferences. We’ll make sure you know the difference between each kind of crown so that you can carefully weigh your options before making any kind of choice. At our Arlington office, you can get crowns made of ceramic, porcelain-fused to metal, and gold.
When you’re concerned with how your smile will look after you receive your restoration, you’ll most likely want to consider an all-ceramic crown. Ceramic materials are translucent, and we can adjust their color as necessary; as such, they can be used to make beautiful, natural-looking crowns that blend right in.
Porcelain Fused to Metal
Like ceramic crowns, porcelain fused to metal crowns can be made to look like real teeth, but since they have an underlying metal base, they tend to be more durable. They’re a good choice for replacing front and back teeth, but you should be aware that the metal will start to become more visible over time as the crown wears down.
Gold has long been used in dental restorations as it can withstand the forces of biting and chewing well. Crowns made out of this material tend to have a longer lifespan. However, because they’re not the most aesthetically pleasing options, they’re normally recommended for the molars that are kept out of sight.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
- Stronger Teeth: A crown will give your tooth the strength it needs to chew all of your favorite foods.
- A Stable Smile: Placing a crown on top of a damaged tooth will hold it together.
- Improved Appearance: If you’re embarrassed by your smile, a crown can help improve your confidence.
- Durability: The average lifespan of a crown is about 15 years, although some of them can last up to 30 years.