Millions of people would like to experience the benefits of well-aligned teeth. They would like to do so as inexpensively and conveniently as possible, which is why SmileDirectClub is so popular. Are you thinking about using this teledentistry service? You should think again. In this blog post, we’ll discuss some of the issues with SmileDirectClub and why you should opt for Invisalign in Arlington instead.
In February, CNBC reported that Jeffrey A. Sulitzer, SmileDirectClub’s chief clinical officer, is at risk of losing his California dental license. In a recent crackdown, the state attorney general filed a 24-page complaint against Dr. Sulitzer.
In the complaint, Sulitzer is accused of:
- Violating state law
- Defrauding state dental regulators (by assisting in the unlicensed practice of dentistry in the state of California)
- Acting with gross negligence toward patients while helping SmileDirectClub grow its business
Of course, SmileDirectClub’s legal representatives are fighting the accusations, and a final verdict on the case is pending. However, the fact that the accusations exist in the first place should raise a major red flag for potential customers of SmileDirectClub.
It is also worth bearing in mind that California is not the first state where complaints have been filed against SmileDirectClub. In fact, complaints have been filed in more than a dozen states. Thus far, the complaints have been rejected, but they establish a trend of ongoing dissatisfaction with SmileDirectClub from both consumers and dental professionals.
Is SmileDirectClub Safe?
Many dentists have questioned the safety of SmileDirectClub, and rightly so. The system does not provide in-person support for patients throughout their treatment. Patients may therefore encounter unexpected problems and not be able to get the help they need. Some have even complained that SmileDirectClub’s clear aligners caused their teeth to become worse than when they embarked on their treatment.
Why Invisalign Is Better
If you would like to use clear aligners to straighten your teeth, Invisalign is a better option than SmileDirectClub because:
- Your treatment will be personally overseen by a skilled cosmetic dentist in Arlington. You’ll always be able to reach your dentist easily if you have questions or concerns about your treatment.
- Invisalign has a track record of success. Invisalign has been around for more than 20 years, and it has proven effective for patients time and again.
- It could save you money. Invisalign has a higher cost than SmileDirectClub. However, if SmileDirectClub worsens the condition of your teeth, you may spend thousands more on trying to fix the damage that it caused.
SmileDirectClub may seem like an appealing idea, but it is not worth the risk! Instead, rely on a dentist you know you can trust to help you achieve your dream smile.
About the Author
Dr. Ravi Doctor is a general dentist in the Arlington, TX, area. He has undergone extensive training that equips him to provide a number of advanced services, including Invisalign. If you would like to speak to Dr. Doctor about straightening your teeth and making other aesthetic improvements to your smile, contact our team at 817-274-8667.